SAP Analytics Cloud analytic models can easily handle most currency scenarios without a separate currency dimension by using the model and story currency conversion measures.
Using the currency features in SAP Analytics Cloud, you can display the model currencies, calculate any other currency, translate on the fly, and have a constant currency comparison.
In the example above, the model is set up with the followingmodel structure structure:
- Local Amount
- Group Amount
The dimensional currency settings would include:
- an entity with currency property
- an account with rate type and currency unit property
Updating currency tables
Currency tables can be updated using the following methods:
- Flat files
- BPC rate models
- BW queries
SAP Analytics Cloud currency translation - key points
- Exchange rates are stored in the SAP Analytics Cloud currency translation table.
- Exchange rates originate from financial institutions and are automatically or manually updated into SAC.
- Currency use case examples include:
- Display corporate (group) and local operating currencies in stories.
- Import and plan in local currency and immediately translate to group currency.
- Translate with category-specific exchange rates.
- Import both local and group currency actual values.
- Analyze trends in constant currency.
- The term Local Currency (LC) refers to the functional or operating currency of a company, for example. A company in the US has an LC of USD, and so on.
- The term Group Currency refers to the corporate level currency. A company in the US that has a German parent therefore has a group currency of EUR, for example.
- The term Translation is being used interchangeably with conversion.
- The concepts in this lesson concern planning concepts only, not month-end closing currency translation.
Currency translation results in a story
- The local currency property value for Store02 is EUR.
- The local currency is EUR. This value is stored in the database.
- Group currency is USD. This value is stored in the database.
- Alternative currency is calculated but not stored. This is a model ‘currency conversion measure’.
- Simulated currency is a story calculated measure.
In the example below, the new model is used.
Using story conversion measures
In order to create a converted measure in the story:
- Add a measure for currency conversion.
- Name the new column.
- Select the target currency: either fixed or based on the entity currency.
- Select a category either dynamically, or fixed to actual or plan.
- Choose the source measure.
- Select the date to determine the exchange rate.
If a currency conversion is added and there are no exchange rates, the system will direct you to the currency table (to add the missing rates).