Your company needs a reliable database with high performance, for creating custom developments, managing data for analytic topics and extend on-premise capabilities with capabilities of the cloud. SAP HANA is the main SAP offering for these use-cases.
The SAP intelligent, sustainable enterprise strategy helps companies to become an intelligent, sustainable enterprise, enabling companies to make impactful changes to run their business better by growing more resilient, more profitable, and more sustainable.
The SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) provides ONE unified and connected platform for all data-driven innovations to turn DATA into VALUE.
The software components placed into the category Data includes all SAP databases including SAP HANA Cloud, but also other databases such as SAP ASE service and SAP IQ.
This category also includes tools for managing and extracting data and meta data such as SAP Data Services, SAP Data Intelligence, SAP Information Steward.
Main headers of this area are: Data Storage, Data Processing, Data Integration, Data Orchestration, Information Governance, Master Data Management.
- What is SAP Data Services?
- SAP Data Services software improves the quality of data across the enterprise. As part of the information management layer of SAP's Business Technology Platform, it delivers trusted, relevant, and timely information to drive better business outcomes.https://www.sap.com/products/data-services.html
- See: https://www.sap.com/products/data-services.html
- What is SAP Information Steward?
- SAP Information Steward software supports data profiling and monitoring and information policy management. As the information governance layer of SAP Business Technology Platform, it can help you anticipate risk and drive better business outcomes.
- See: https://www.sap.com/products/data-profiling-steward.html
- What is SAP Data Intelligence?
- SAP Data Intelligence is a comprehensive data management solution. As the data orchestration layer of SAP's Business Technology Platform, it transforms distributed data sprawls into vital data insights, delivering innovation at scale.
- See: https://www.sap.com/products/data-intelligence.html
SAP HANA Cloud Value Proposition
- What is SAP HANA Cloud?
- SAP HANA Cloud is a fully managed in-memory multi-tier cloud database as a service (DBaaS). As the cloud-based data foundation for SAP Business Technology Platform, SAP HANA Cloud integrates data from across the enterprise, enabling faster decisions based on live data. SAP HANA Cloud is one of the four pillars of the SAP Business Technology Platform and provides the data services to handle constantly growing data volumes in central place.
- Multi-Service Database
Combining the known SAP HANA qualities like in-memory, multi-model, hybrid transaction, and analytics processing in real-time with high volume and extreme transactionally focused services.
- Data On Demand
All data, regardless of size, category, and complexity, available to you whenever you need it.
- Easy Integration
A unified access layer to simplify data processing while consolidating and harmonizing data integration to your intelligent applications.
- Power Of The Cloud
Cloud qualities like low TCO, elasticity, serverless principles, high availability, resilience, and autonomous behavior.
- Streamlined Access
Simplified data-access which connects all your information without demanding that all data be loaded into a single storage solution.
- Developer Experience
SAP HANA Cloud provides an integrated development environment in which the developer can develop and model custom applications.
Use Cases for SAP HANA Cloud
SAP HANA Cloud is central to SAP's strategy of providing a next-generation digital platform that can power both existing and new applications, either on-premise or cloud or hybrid. These applications can be either SAP or non-SAP applications. SAP HANA Cloud can be used in a large number of different IT scenarios. Let's take a look at some examples of where SAP HANA Cloud can be used.
There are many use cases and scenarios for SAP HANA Cloud. These include the following:
- To provide the database for next generation applications that require super-fast performance on huge data volumes at scale.
- To power data warehouses including SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and custom data warehouses. Also, to power analytics, including SAP Analytics Cloud, by connecting to, and coordinating distributed data into a single, consistent data model.
- To extend the data storage and processing capacities of on-premise applications, fir example when large numbers of new users are on-boarded.
- To extend the functionality of existing SAP applications using cloud-based services.
SAP HANA Cloud Tooling
Once SAP HANA Cloud has been provisioned and is up and running, there are four main interfaces used by the various roles. All of the interfaces are browser-based. There is no software to install:
- SAP Business Application Studio
- Used by developers to build and maintain applications. Developers include application coders and also data modelers. SAP Business Application Studio includes graphical editors and text editors for development and also a command line interface so Linux commands can be executed. This a relatively new interface launched in 2020 and is SAP's next generation development tool that replaces Web IDE. Business Application Studio is based on Eclipse Theia and includes productivity aids such as code-completion, debuggers, templates, and so on. Business Application is the recommended interface to use to build cloud foundry applications.
- SAP Web IDE
- The original interface used by developers to build applications. Just like SAP Business Application Studio, SAP Web IDE is used by application coders and also data modelers. SAP Web IDE also includes some basic developer productivity aids. Web IDE was first developed for SAP HANA on-premise. Although SAP Web IDE can be used with SAP HANA Cloud, it is recommended to use SAP Business Application Studio.
- Database Explorer
- This is an interface that is used by developers and also administrators. The Database Explorer is used to explore the run-time objects of the database, for example, tables, views and stored procedures. It includes a built in SQL console where SQL statements can be executed against the database.
- SAP HANA Cockpit
- Used by administrators to monitor the platform, optimize performance, maintain security, and trace and analyze errors. This interface was originally developed for SPA HANA on-premise and uses a SAP Fiori style interface design with tiles that provide KPI information at a glance.