The basic principle for all web-based extension tools is that you do not need to specify any packages or transport requests in these applications. All enhancements are initially created as local objects that have not yet been assigned to a transport request.
The transport of key user extensions is managed via the adaptation transport organizer (ATO). The ATO must therefore be set up in order to enable the following SAP Fiori applications for key users, among others:
- Custom Fields and Logic
- Custom Business Objects
- Export Software Collection (cloud edition only)
- Configure Software Packages (on-premise edition only)
- Register Extensions for Transport (on-premise edition only)
Transporting Extensions in SAP S/4HANA, On-Premise-Edition
With the Configure Software Packages app, you can configure software packages for transporting extension items.
An open transport request and task are required whenever an extension item in a package is changed or a new extension item is assigned to a package in the Register Extensions for Transport app. For this reason, you need to assign to your software package a transport request and a task. To do so, you can choose between the following options:
- Assign a specific transport request to the registered package and activate Automatic Task Handling.
- Activate Automatic Request Handling. This option also activates Automatic Task Handling.
The SAP Fiori application Register Extensions for Transport is available in the on-premise edition of SAP S/4HANA for transporting extensions. With this application, you assign extension items to software packages and transport requests. If the extension item that you would like to transport is not transportable, you need to assign it to a package that is transportable and configured in the Configure Software Packages app. If the extension item that you would like to transport is not editable, the extension item is not assigned to an open transport request. Thus, no changes to the extension item can be recorded and transported. To make an extension item editable, you can choose between the following options:
- Assign the extension item to a transport request manually.
- Activate Automatic Task Handling in the Configure Software Packages app.
Transporting Extensions in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
The following two SAP Fiori applications are available in SAP S/4HANA Cloud for transporting extensions:
- Export Software Collection
You use this application in the test environment to bundle extensions in software collections and export them together.
- Import Software Collection
You use this application in the productive environment to import extensions.