Define Special Procurement Type
You use this configuration item to define the special procurement keys that, in addition to the procurement type, control the procurement and storage of a material. The special procurement type always refers to a procurement type. You can also define how the system treats the material as a component during the BOM explosion using control indicators.
Example 1 (special procurement keys without other indicators)
The procurement type external procurement is defined for raw materials. If a material is to be procured via a consignment order, you assign the special procurement type consignment to the material in the material master record.
Example 2 (special procurement keys with other indicators)
- A material appears in several BOMs as a component because it is assembled in finished products in in-house production. It is procured from an alternative plant if no dependent requirements exist for the material.
- The same material, on the other hand, is also sold from stock to customers, who need the material as a replacement part, for example. In this case, the material can be procured by stock transfer because with planned independent requirements (customer requirements, in this case), procurement you cannot use withdrawal from an alternative plant.
- You can do this by creating a special procurement key using the stock transfer special procurement type and by selecting the indicator for withdrawal from alternative plant. You assign this special procurement key to the appropriate material in the material master record.
The following special procurement types are defined in the SAP standard system:
- For the procurement type, in-house production
- Phantom assembly
A phantom assembly is a logical grouping of materials. These materials are grouped and managed together for a certain reason (for example, from the engineering point of view). However, a phantom assembly is not actually produced. Therefore, phantom assemblies pass the dependent requirements directly to the lower BOM level.
- Production in another plant
In this type of special procurement, material components are produced in a plant other than the planning plant.
If you want to use this special procurement type, you must maintain a special procurement key by choosing planning plant → production plant for each relationship.
- Withdrawal in alternative plant
- In this type of special procurement, the material components are withdrawn in a different plant to the planning plant.
- If you want to use this special procurement type, you must maintain a special procurement key per planning plant → withdrawal plant relationship.
- This special procurement key is used to displace the stocking level of a BOM. If you use the planning strategy planning without final assembly, the system only assembles the assemblies that lie one BOM level below the finished product before any sales order has been received. If you want the stocking level to be even further down the BOM structure, the components receive the special procurement key 'Phantom in planning'. Assemblies with this special procurement key are not assemblies until sales orders at finished product level actually exist.
- For the procurement type 'External procurement'.
Checking the special procurement key
If you want to procure a material that is a BOM component in a way other than those in the standard special procurement types, you can define a special procurement type by selecting the following fields:
- If you select Phantom item, the system uses a phantom assembly in the BOM explosion for a material that is used as a component in a BOM, regardless of which type of special procurement has been set. The phantom assembly characteristics can be combined with any other special procurement type.
- If you select Withdrawal from an alternative plant, the system procures a material that is used as a component in a BOM by withdrawing it from an alternative plant. This only occurs if dependent requirements exist and is not dependent on the special procurement type defined.
If you use storage location MRP and production or procurement is carried out directly for the storage location, you must create the following special procurement key:
- In-house production (procurement type 'E', special procurement 'E')
- External procurement (procurement type 'F', special procurement blank)
The special procurement type is assigned in the material master record per material.