Introduction to SAP Central Business Configuration
SAP Central Business Configuration is a tool that will make it possible to configure business processes spanning different SAP cloud solutions from one central place. Currently, SAP Central Business Configuration supports the system provisioning and configuration of SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition since January 2021. The future vision is for SAP Central Business Configuration to support implementation of all solutions in SAP’s Intelligent Enterprise to enable end-to-end provisioning and configuration of solutions such as SAP SuccessFactors, SAP Ariba, and others.
Components of SAP Central Business Configuration
SAP Central Business Configuration aims to increase business process flexibility, reduce time to value and total cost of ownership, and support roll-out of business processes in smaller iterative steps.
SAP Central Business Configuration consists of the components below; select each to learn more.
Configuration Process Overview
The guided workflow process steps include:
- Scope: Select the scope items (business processes) and countries in which to activate them, then assign systems as the deployment targets.
- Organizational Structure: Specify primary finance settings such as group currency and fiscal year variant, set up the organizational structure, and deploy the settings.
- Product-Specific Configuration: Carry out configuration activities to define business processes and release transports to the target systems. The configuration activities visible are based on the active scope.
Maintaining SAP S/4HANA Cloud after Go-Live
SAP Central Business Configuration is used to continuously maintain SAP S/4HANA Cloud after go-live. For example, if a new business process is released, a customer will start at the beginning of the workflow to first select the scope to activate, make any changes or additions to the organizational structure (if necessary), complete the relevant configuration activities, and finally maintain any necessary production system settings. The workflow ensures all required steps are completed for new scope to be successfully activated.
Important Dates & Milestones
Customers who implemented SAP S/4HANA Cloud prior to January 2021 still use the Manage Your Solution and Configure Your Solution Fiori apps in their SAP S/4HANA Cloud system to maintain configuration values for different business processes. These customers will be contacted by SAP individually to schedule their conversion to SAP Central Business Configuration. Conversion is executed by SAP and will not affect the customer’s existing configuration. After the switch, all future configuration changes, such as activating new business processes or countries will take place in SAP Central Business Configuration.
Customers who implemented SAP S/4HANA Cloud after January 2021 received an SAP Central Business Configuration system along with their Quality and Production systems. These customers have a 2-system landscape (2SL), referring to the Quality and Production systems.
In September 2022, the ability to have a third system landscape with development capabilities became available. The development system is called the SAP S/4HANA Cloud ABAP Environment. Customers who implemented SAP S/4HANA Cloud after September 2022 received an SAP Central Business Configuration system along with their Development, Test (formerly Quality), and Production systems. These customers have a 3-system landscape (3SL).
Old Configuration Method vs. New Configuration Method
Prior to SAP Central Business Configuration, the Manage Your Solution and Configure Your Solution apps in the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Fiori launchpad were used to complete configuration activities. Customers that implemented SAP S/4HANA Cloud prior to January 2021 will continue to use this method to maintain their systems until their systems are converted by SAP. Until all customers are converted to SAP Central Business Configuration, the Manage Your Solution app will not be removed from the launchpad.
Select each box below to view where the functionality has moved.
Embedded User Assistance
User assistance is accessed through the question mark icon in the top right corner of the SAP Central Business Configuration system. You will find:
- In-app help: On-screen "hot spots" describing elements of the user interface with links to detailed information and tutorial videos.
- SAP Help Portal links: Application help with interactive graphics, concepts, task descriptions and tutorial videos.
- SAP Central Business Configuration in the SAP Help Portal
- SAP Central Business Configuration in the SAP Community
- SAP Central Business Configuration free training on openSAP
- SAP Central Business Configuration Learning Journey (SAP Learning Hub subscription required)
Try it out
Access the SAP Central Business Configuration In-App Help.