With this business process, you can integrate the supply of products to production and the receipt of finished products from production into your warehouse.
First, you stage the material that is required for production. This activity triggers the creation of an outbound delivery that is distributed to the warehouse and serves as the main document for subsequent process steps. A warehouse operative moves the material to the production supply area and confirms the warehouse tasks accordingly.
After the goods issue is posted, the required material is available for consumption at the production storage location.
Finally, the finished goods from production – to be stored in the warehouse – are received, packed into handling units, and moved to the final bin.
- Integrate warehouse execution with manufacturing operations, using a delivery-based production integration.
- Control and record movements of products and handling units in the warehouse.
- Map your warehouse complex in the system down to a storage bin level.
- Improve visibility and control in warehouse processes.
Key Process Flows
Material Staging for Production Order and Goods Issue Posting for Production
The production material staging process consists of the following main process steps:
- Release production order:
- The process starts with the release of the production order by the production supervisor. The components that are required to produce the final product are stored in the warehouse and are provided to the production supply area, where production takes place on order basis, or order-independently.
- Material staging for production order:
- The production operator triggers the material staging via the maintained control cycle in the system, to signalize that he or she requires the components for the final product soon. The control cycle states that the items are provided via a storage location that is controlled by Extended Warehouse Management (EWM). Therefore, the system sends the request to EWM and creates an outbound delivery order in the EWM system as a reference document for the material provision.
- Create staging warehouse tasks and print picklists:
- By triggering material provision and creation of the outbound delivery order, a warehouse request arises on the warehouse management side. You create warehouse tasks and warehouse orders to fulfill the request.
- Confirm staging warehouse tasks:
- The warehouse tasks for material staging are carried out and confirmed by the warehouse operative.
- Post goods issue for staging:
- After staging has been carried out, a goods issue for the outbound delivery order is posted on the warehouse side to signalize to inventory management and production that the staging is finished on the warehouse management side. On the inventory management side, the components required for production are posted from the supplying storage location to the production storage location (which is not EWM managed).
Goods Receipt from Production
After production finishes, the produced material should be stored in the warehouse. The goods receipt from production process consists of the following main process steps:
- Create inbound delivery for production order:
- By posting the goods receipt for the production order, an inbound delivery is created to trigger the putaway warehouse activities. On the warehouse management side, an inbound delivery is created as well, which is also representing a warehouse request for putaway.
- Create handling units and print labels:
- Because the produced materials have to be packed before putaway, the warehouse clerk creates handling units, labels them, and packs the produced items in the handling units.
- Post goods receipt:
- Receiving of the produced goods is documented by posting a goods receipt in the warehouse management system that is also transferred to inventory management.
- Create putaway warehouse tasks and print putaway lists:
- To carry out the putaway tasks from the production area to the regular storage types, putaway warehouse tasks and warehouse orders are created. Putaway lists are printed in a paper-driven environment.
- Confirm putaway warehouse tasks:
- The warehouse tasks for putaway are confirmed after the produced and packed materials are put away by the warehouse operative.
Business Roles and SAP Fiori Apps
The following SAP S/4HANA Cloud business roles are used for this scenario:
Warehouse Clerk (EWM)
Warehouse Operative (EWM)
The Roles and Apps used in the Scenario Warehouse Production Integration (3DV) figure shows the roles and SAP Fiori apps involved in the process.