Evolution of Decision Making
Decision making has evolved.
Watch this video to learn about the evolution of decision making.
Decision making has changed.
There are three approaches to decision making: Linear, Dynamic, and Augmented.
- In Linear approach, IT is responsible for managing data and also creating and dispensing Business Intelligence reports.
- In Dynamic approach, Business Analysts are responsible for creating and dispensing Business Intelligence reports.
- In Augmented approach, with artificial intelligence assistance, anyone in the organization can manage the data they need to manage at any time and create their own Business Intelligence reports.
The mental model in the video shows how decision making has changed and why organizations need a different approach.
Intelligent decisions are part of a continuous process. All organizations must ask, discover, analyze, predict, plan, and take action. There is a significant advantage to doing this together, all in one place, enabled by technology. The reality in many enterprises is that these activities are disconnected.
Data engineers are tasked with data tracking, data analysts and data scientists are tasked with analyzing the data, and the results of the analysis are delivered to another group of decision makers, whose decisions are then passed along to employees who act based on the decisions. It is rare for one software package to support two or more of these activities. Without visibility across the whole process, it is difficult for an enterprise to learn. Missing functionality across this process often results in a lack of evaluating alternatives, understanding risk and constraints, and prescribing next best actions.
Learning and experimenting are continuous. Insight driven companies purposefully measure the impact of applied insights, and then optimize in closed loop, agile cycles of experimentation and learning.
During these unprecedented and uncertain times, it is critical to get the right insights in front of the right users for fast decisions. Front line workers are the ones most in need of clear information so they can act with confidence.
SAP Business Technology Platform
The SAP Business Technology Platform is the glue that holds everything together.
The SAP Business Technology Platform allows customers to harness the power of data; from managing the quantity (SAP S/4HANA Cloud) and span (SAP Cloud Integration for data services) to ensuring the quality (SAP Data Warehouse Cloud) and ultimately consuming it (SAP Analytics Cloud).
SPAN: SAP Cloud Integration for data services.
AMOUNT: SAP S/4HANA Cloud/ SAP S/4HANA, SAP IQ, SAP ASE service
QUALITY: SAP Data Warehouse Cloud
USAGE: SAP Analytics Cloud/ SAP BusinessObjects BI Reporting
In other words, the SAP Business Technology Platform strategy connects all elements of data processing - from a database, data management, to data warehousing, analytics and planning - into one seamless experience.
SAP Data Intelligence - Data Orchestration Layer of SAP's BTP
SAP Data Intelligence is a comprehensive data management solution. As the data orchestration layer of SAP’s Business Technology Platform, it transforms distributed data into vital data insights, delivering innovation at scale. Use data intelligence to process distributed data. Provide your users with intelligent, relevant, and contextual insights with integration across the IT landscape. Integrate and orchestrate massive data volumes and streams at scale. Streamline, operationalize, and govern innovation driven by machine learning. Optimize governance and minimize compliance risk with comprehensive metadata management rules.
SAP Analytics Cloud
SAP Analytics Cloud helps all types of decision makers (strategic, operational, tactical) as follows:
- Improve decision-making with all analytical capabilities in one place.
- Make smarter and faster decisions with Artificial Intelligence (AI)-driven insights.
- Gain enterprise-ready insights and take action in the context of business processes.
Unlike relying on standalone spreadsheets, or stitching together a multitude of niche BI, planning, and predictive analysis tools which do not deliver a scalable foundation to address the complexities of modern business processes and ever changing requirements, SAP Analytics Cloud enables end-to-end decision making with all analytics capabilities in one place, providing BI, planning, and augmented analytics capabilities in one cloud-based solution.
Differentiating Capabilities of SAP Analytics Cloud
The differentiating capabilities of SAP Analytics Cloud are as follows:
- A seamless end-to-end analytics experience that simplifies complex work flows with one solution, allowing business to easily transition from insights, to plan, to action.
- Built on the SAP Cloud Platform, it is big data-ready and scales to grow as your business does.
- Build and embed a custom design dashboard with SAP Analytics Cloud Analytics Designer.
The benefits of SAP Analytics Cloud are as follows:
- Analyze, predict, and plan in one experience across all devices.
- Make end-to-end decisions with data management and analytics together in one place.
- Scale to meet the needs of your business and diverse users across all decision types (strategic, operational, and tactical).
SAP can help your business to make smarter decisions faster with AI-driven insights by seamlessly integrating AI technologies such as Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Query (NLQ), and Natural Language Generation (NLG).
The differentiating capabilities of this are as follows:
- NLQ/NLG as the primary interface to find the right content and key insights (smart insights and search to insight).
- ML algorithms applied to guided data discovery, and key influence and pattern detection (smart discovery).
- ML algorithms leverage historical data to build predictions with no data scientist required (smart predict).
The benefits of this are as follows:
- Ask questions in a conversational manner with instant results explained in natural language.
- Detect drivers of a Key Performance Indicator (KPI) and take the next best action using automated ML that discovers unknown relationships in data.
- Predict potential outcomes and forecasts with the push of a button.
SAP Analytics Cloud Core Functions
Discovering, visualizing, planning, and predicting data are core requirements for many business users. Additionally, the ability to combine information in the form of a report, application, or in an excel sheet from one location, should be available and accessible anywhere and any time. This is exactly what SAP Analytics Cloud systems and their services deliver.
Let's look at the core functions of SAP Analytics Cloud.
Lifecycle of Data in SAP Analytics Cloud
Data used in SAP Analytics Cloud can be located either on a cloud server, on a physical server at the customer’s location, or a combination of the two. Regardless of where the data is located, SAP Analytics Cloud provides data preparation, simulation, forecasting, and storytelling capabilities for the data.
SAP Analytics Cloud Integration
The SAP Analytics Cloud system can be integrated into existing enterprise architecture scenarios.
SAP Analytics Cloud is available in two editions: embedded and enterprise.
- SAP Analytics Cloud embedded edition is being delivered, at no additional licensing or cost, across SAP's intelligent enterprise applications, starting with SAP S/4HANA, SAP SuccessFactors, SAP Customer Experience, SAP Ariba, and SAP Fieldglass. It provides operational analytics, with live connectivity to the underlying data, allowing users to take action within the context of their application.
- SAP Analytics Cloud enterprise edition provides the full range of functionality of SAP Analytics Cloud, allowing customers to extend analytics beyond the scope of the application data, and to address typical scenarios by analyzing data from multiple sources.
SAP Analytic Cloud Embedded Solution
SAP Analytics Cloud, embedded edition is a reusable business service on SAP Cloud Platform for business intelligence (BI). Built natively on SAP Cloud Platform, it provides a unified and secure public cloud experience to maximize data-driven insights and decision making.
The following features are included in the SAP Analytics Cloud, embedded edition:
- Mobile App
- Connections: SAP Analytics Cloud, embedded edition supports live connection to your remote SAP HANA database on SAP Cloud Platform.
The SAP Analytics Cloud, embedded edition service includes license Business Intelligence embedded. With this you have access to the following features:
Business Intelligence functionality
Enterprise-level data source connectivity to SAP HANA
Team collaboration features
24/7 SAP Support and Service Level Agreement
SAP Analytics Cloud Architecture
There are two options for using SAP Analytics Cloud:
- Exclusively cloud-based
- Hybrid of on-premise and cloud solutions
A cloud-based solution helps customers understand their data in context to make fast and confident decisions. The integration of business intelligence, enterprise planning, predictive, and augmented analytics in a single engine allows for a smooth experience from reporting, to simulation, to enterprise planning, and back again, all augmented by machine learning.
However, SAP is not following a "Cloud-only" Strategy but instead a "Cloud-first" strategy. Consequently, SAP has a hybrid option to allow customers to leverage their existing on-premise systems in conjunction with SAP Analytics Cloud as the front-end interface that provides a single platform and software to summarize data in different views with one entry point.
Similarly, customers can leverage their existing data assets with their highly valued live connectivity to SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP Analytics Cloud for business intelligence, and statement of direction systems such as SAP BW/4HANA, SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, and SAP BusinessObjects.
Our connectivity extends outside of SAP systems so that customers can have a complete view of their business, wherever their data resides. Pre-built content that packages SAP's business domain expertise is included for many industries.
The technical client requirements SAP recommends for browsers:
- At least 250 MB browser cache
- At least 500 kbit/sec connection speed
- Cookies enabled
- HTTP 1.1 connection