Eclipse and ABAP Development Tools
To develop ABAP applications for SAP BTP, first download the Eclipse development environment for free from eclipse.org. Next, to obtain the ABAP Development Tools, do the following:
- Open Eclipse.
- Choose Help → Install New Software.
- Now, in the dialog box that appears, enter the following: https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/latest.
- Be sure to check for updates in the following: Help → Check for Updates.
Different Types of ABAP Projects
As a development environment, Eclipse is not embedded in the ABAP system. Instead, you must connect it to each ABAP system in which you want it to work. Eclipse represents each connection as a project.
There are two kinds of projects in ADT:
- ABAP Projects: This connects to an on-premise ABAP system.
- ABAP Cloud Projects: This connects either to SAP BTP ABAP or to SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
In this unit, we will only be looking at the cloud environment.
Overview of the ABAP Environment
The SAP Business Technology Platform is SAP's platform as a service (PAAS). To access it, you need to create a global account. Within your global account are subaccounts. Each subaccount can be configured differently, so that a single enterprise can run several different platforms but manage their subscription using just the single global account. Inside the subaccount, you deploy a runtime such as Cloud Foundry or Kyma. Only then you can deploy an ABAP instance.
This course is using an ABAP instance deployed on the SAP Business Technology Platform or BTP. The material is also relevant for other ABAP deployments, such as an on-premises SAP S/4HANA system or an SAP S/4HANA Cloud system.