In this lesson, you will learn how to import catalog objects using the cloud version of the SAP HANA database explorer.
As a database administrator, you sometimes need to import tables and data into the SAP HANA Cloud database. The content import function is provided in the SAP HANA database explorer.
The SAP HANA database explorer supports you in importing and exporting catalog objects, including schemas, into your database. The source files must be compressed in .tar.gz format.
Import Catalog Objects
To import database objects from one SAP HANA tenant database to a SAP HANA Cloud database, the following prerequisites must be fulfilled:
- Database objects being imported must have been previously exported by using the export feature of the database explorer.
- In the destination database you must have the INSERT/UPDATE, DROP, or CREATE object privileges for the destination catalog objects.
- You must have the IMPORT system privilege
Supported import formats:
- CSV (Comma-Separated Values) file format.
- PARQUET file format.
It is not possible to import binary or CSV objects which have been exported from the on-premise SAP HANA Platform because the two formats and certain data types are not compatible.
The SAP HANA database explorer for SAP HANA Cloud supports the following import sources:
- Local - CSV only
- Amazon S3 - CSV and PARQUET
- Azure Storage - CSV and PARQUET
- Alibaba Cloud OSS - CSV and PARQUET
- Google Cloud Storage - CSV and PARQUET
See the following video to import catalog objects.