What are DX services? DX services are tools to manage role-based access to information and apps, create personalized and engaging workspaces, improve discovery and sharing of data, and extend functionality of systems by leveraging platform connections.
Let’s put the description of DX services in the context of how you would use it. As a citizen developer, DX services capabilities enable you to create personal, team and project workspaces and to adapt to market conditions faster, by:
- Delivering a contextual and consistent digital experience that allows people to access all the resources they need in one place in a harmonized way versus inefficiently switching between multiple applications or screens.
- Enabling users to use drag-and-drop customization to personalize their digital workplace and enrich it with the resources and workflows they need to maximize productivity.
- Accelerating creation of new digital interfaces with pre-built templates and a business user-focused page design experience.
With DX services running on the SAP Business Technology Platform, you can integrate your business processes and applications with the flexibility, scalability, and breadth of support you need to successfully extend or build innovative applications.
DX Services Portfolio at SAP
Looking more closely into the portfolio of DX services, SAP primarily focuses on two products that are both provided on SAP Business Technology Platform: SAP Launchpad service and SAP Work Zone.
While both offerings share a common technology foundation and capability set, they aim to address different use cases depending on the required scope:
- SAP Launchpad service allows you to create an (SAP) application-centric entry point, providing a harmonized user experience layer that integrates applications, tasks, and notifications. The setup and configuration process provides an IT administrator-centric experience, allowing for flexible role-based setups.
- SAP Work Zone provides they key features you get with SAP Launchpad service, plus capabilities that enable you to combine the application-centric experience with web content, documents and knowledge sharing as well as user engagement in discussion forums, feeds and more. It empowers administrators, citizen developers and end users alike to contribute and create engaging, modern experiences.
For this unit we will focus on SAP Work Zone with its extended capability set, because it is targeted towards citizen developers and other non-technical business users.