Let’s look at how to configure different budget calculation options.
Selecting Add or Edit Budget Calculation opens a pop-up window that allows the setting of the different budget calculation options.
From this pop-up, you can select:
Budget Calculation Options: Mode
The Mode determines the amount that will be used as budget base.
- The system uses employee salary as the base amount.
- This method is easiest to configure.
Percent of Target (Merit/Lumpsum/lumpsum2):
- The budget base is an amount uploaded in the user data file.
- Not used frequently; used by customers who would like the base amount to be different from salary.
- The budget base is calculated from a custom field, typically using a lookup table.
- Most flexible and yet hardest to configure.
- Can only be used in the Salary tab.
- Cannot be used for cascading budgets.
- Used for cascading budgets.
- Used for Stock budgeting.
- Budget amount can be updated using Update worksheet..
- When used for cascading budgets, the budget amount is specified on the Budget Assignment page. Assign budgets to the top level of the cascading budget.
- The system uses the total of the calculated default guideline as base amount.
- When this mode is used, basedOn field is ignored.
- Typically used for Stock budgeting. May also work in a scenario where the client wants the worksheet to calculate the ideal recommendation and pre-populate that for all planners. Planners could then make alterations to the system recommendations.
- Budget base will be calculated from current salary plus or minus the amount indicated in Budget Value.
- For example, budget value –5000, the merit budget will be total salary minus 5000 for each user.
- Not commonly used.
Budget Calculation Options: Use For, Components
Use For is the worksheet tab where the budget will be displayed.
Components are the fields which get to spend the allocated budget.
You can include multiple standard fields or custom fields. However, you cannot combine standard and custom fields in one budget calculation. If customers have this requirement, create a new custom field that adds the required standard and custom fields, and use that new custom field as the budget component.
Budget Calculation Options: Budget Value, Based On
Budget Value – Depending on the mode selected, this can be a percentage or an amount. This is the value which the base amount will be multiplied with.
The Based On menu specifies how budget percentage will be determined:
- User: The budget percentage is taken from the user data file. The value referenced in the importKey supersedes the number entered in the Budget Value box. Budget changes can be reflected automatically if the field is set to reloadable.
- Group: The budget percentage is taken from group percentages created by the administrator. Number entered in Budget Value is ignored. Budget changes can be reflected on forms by using Update Worksheet.
- Template: Budget Value entered will be used as budget percentage for entire plan. All worksheets generated from the template will have the same budget percentage. Changes on budget require launching of new forms.
- Planner: The budget amount is granted to each compensation planner, using the Budget Assignment tool in Manage Worksheets.
Budget Calculation Options: Advanced Options
Supplementary budget configuration is available in Advanced Options.
- Include Ineligible: Determine if ineligible employees should be included in the budget allocation.
- Family Name: Used only for budgets where Group was selected from the Based On dropdown menu.
- Prorating: Allows the budget to be prorated based on either date or percentages. Only applicable if basedOn is "user" or "template".
- Hide Percentage: Hide the display of the budget percentage, showing only the budget amount.
- Import Key: Imported field name containing the budget percentage to be used for basedOn=User.
- Base Custom Field: Column id of the custom field containing budget value to be used for the PercentofCustomField mode.
- Allocation Columns and the Use Final Payout for VP Budget fields: refer to SAP SuccessFactors Variable Pay.
For more details, refer to the Set Up Proration section of the SAP SuccessFactors Compensation Implementation Guide.
Budget Calculation Options: Language and Budget Labels
Column and row headers and language in the budget panel can be configured and relabeled in different sections of Compensation Home.
- Column budget headers and language can be relabeled within Budget Calculation.
- Row budget headers are relabeled within Design Worksheet.