SAP's Cloud ERP Portfolio
At the center of SAP's cloud portfolio is the SAP S/4HANA Cloud ERP core. Because we are talking about SAP's portfolio of cloud solutions, we're referring to SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public Edition or SAP S/4HANA Cloud Private Edition.
The Cloud ERP is supported by the SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP), which provides a foundation where the integrations and extensions that enable customers to differentiate their businesses live. Some services that run on SAP BTP are already included in the GROW and RISE with SAP enablement packages that accompany the SAP S/4HANA Cloud software. Customers can tap into the huge library of free integration packages and extension templates available on the SAP Business Accelerator Hub, and only need to pay for the service that's necessary to run the integration or extension on SAP BTP. All services are listed in the SAP Discovery Center.
- If a customer wants to automate the process of creating and approving business partners in their SAP S/4HANA Cloud (public or private) system, a developer can find and consume the Business Partner Creation Approval Process template that runs on SAP Build Process Automation. Because the customer organization already received several user licenses to SAP Build Process Automation in their GROW or RISE with SAP enablement package accompanying the SAP S/4HANA Cloud software, there is no additional cost for the customer.
- If a customer is using an SAP-certified 3rd party industry cloud solution to protect their brand identity and products from being counterfeited (e.g. Morpheus.Network Brand Protection), they also likely want to consume data generated from that application back into SAP S/4HANA Cloud for reporting and analytical purposes. To address this requirement, a developer from the customer organization can use the integration package, Data Ingestion for Industry Cloud Solutions Integration with SAP S/4HANA. There is no cost to use the package, but there is a cost for the industry solution app, and if the customer doesn't already have a license for the SAP Integration Suite, there will be an additional cost to subscribe to the service to run the integration package.
The Cloud ERP and SAP Business Technology Platform are surrounded by Line of Business (LoB) and industry-leading business applications that collectively provide a full suite of modular business solutions that only SAP can offer. All these components come together to provide customers the end-to-end, industry-specific business processes they need to run intelligent, sustainable enterprises.
The documentation of business processes within each LoB is located in SAP Signavio Process Navigator → Solution Scenario tile → filter by category: Enterprise Resource Planning.
Industry cloud solutions from SAP and our partner ecosystem are in the SAP Store.
In the areas of Human Capital Management (HCM), Spend Management & Business Network, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM), customers may need additional capabilities beyond what's offered in the SAP S/4HANA Cloud ERP.
- Customers can create users and manage permissions within SAP S/4HANA Cloud, but it's really designed to be integrated with an HR system of record to populate people data through an integration. We recommend the SAP SuccessFactors suite of HCM solutions, or if you only need core HR, just the Employee Central solution (within SAP SuccessFactors).
- Customers can create projects for their own customer-facing engagements (i.e. consulting), maintain the staffing, billing, and run a margin analysis and other analytical reports using the processes in the Professional Services LoB within SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public Edition. However, consultants travelling for these engagements cannot book flights, hotels, rental cars, or submit expense reports directly in SAP S/4HANA Cloud. We recommend SAP Concur for travel and expense management.
- Please note, the Professional Services LoB is unique to the public cloud. Because this LoB doesn't exist for the private cloud, we recommend the Customer Experience (CX) suite of CRM solutions to handle the entire lifecycle of gaining and maintaining relationships with your customers.
Core End-to-End Business Processes
There are four core end-to-end business processes, which each include many sub-processes performed in different line of business (LoB) areas.
Recruit to Retire is one of the critical business scenarios needed by every customer, regardless of country, industry, or size. A company's workforce provides the human energy to achieve their objectives. Employees need to be hired, trained correctly, assigned to the tasks relevant for their job role, kept healthy, and paid an appropriate salary based on their job task difficulty, years of experience, and performance. SAP provides the ability to understand, manage, and optimize all aspects of workforce (employees and external workers) in line with business objectives, and with a clear financial impact. The Human Resources LoB for both SAP S/4HANA Cloud deployments is focused on time recording and setting up an integration with the customer's HR system of record to populate employee data through an integration.
Lead to Cash provides an end-to-end scenario that manages all aspects of the customer experience, from the initial interaction in the Sales LoB, to order fulfillment and service delivery with the Service LoB and/or Professional Services LoB (public cloud only), with opportunities to drive and realize revenue along the journey. The processes can be adapted or extended based on a customer's specific requirements and may may vary depending on the industry type, the type of customers, and the sales channel(s) used (e-commerce or direct sales).
Source to Pay focuses on maximizing the impact and potential of the end-to-end sourcing and procurement processes in the Sourcing & Procurement LoB by leveraging core data, predictive analytics, and machine learning to ensure the right suppliers are chosen for direct materials, indirect materials, and services. Buyers can create connections with millions of suppliers, and suppliers can create profitable connections with buyers to efficiently manage their sales cycle and cash flow. Business processes exist in both SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP Ariba to provide end users with a seamless sourcing and procurement experience.
Plan to Fulfill is a group of end-to-end business processes that enables companies to manage a resilient, sustainable digital supply chain encompassing all business processes related to planning, manufacturing, and delivering their products. Through business processes in the R&D Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Asset Management LoBs, customers experience a responsive and customer-centric supply chain that are the backbone of a resilient business. Discrete manufacturing can be used to produce tangible products through assembly (e.g. Cars), or process manufacturing can be used to combine ingredients in a mixture to create the final good (e.g. Pharmaceuticals).