What is the Cloud Mindset?
First, organizations must recognize that cloud software is different than on premise software, and therefore the mindset and methodology used to implement a cloud solution will be different. SAP has tried to make the process of implementing SAP S/4HANA Cloud solutions as clear as possible through a combination of tools and resources, but the organization should also keep an open mind to what may feel new or different when compared to past experiences.
The characteristics of implementing SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public or Private Edition with a Cloud Mindset are:
- Complete the deliverables and tasks defined in the relevant SAP Activate Roadmap for each phase of the implementation. There are many moving parts during an implementation, and the methodology ensures nothing is forgotten. During an implementation, project team members from the customer and partner implementation teams use the implementation apps of SAP Cloud ALM to document and complete project tasks. Access to SAP Cloud ALM is included in the customer's Enterprise Support for Cloud Editions at no cost.
- Use a predefined Solution Scenario from SAP Signavio Process Navigator as the foundation for your business processes. SAP has been designing ERP software with predefined business processes since the 1970's, and we use our 50+ years of experience and regular feedback from customers to build and continuously enhance our library of SAP Best Practice business processes. Instead of having to maintain your own process documentation, the solution process flows and training tutorials on SAP Signavio Process Navigator are always up to date with the latest release enhancements. Tutorials in SAP Signavio Process Navigator are also available directly in the SAP S/4HANA Cloud system through the embedded support to facilitate end user training and adoption of new processes.
- Use cloud integration technologies to connect your systems and applications. SAP has created many prepackaged integrations to connect our own applications to each other and provides free access to the packages through SAP Signavio Process Navigator and the SAP Help Portal. These SAP Best Practice integrations are built with the SAP Integration Suite and run in our Platform as a Service, SAP Business Technology Platform. For custom integrations, we provide a free library of APIs and adapters in the SAP Business Accelerator Hub to support developers in building custom integrations between SAP and third party applications. Running these custom integrations on the SAP Business Technology Platform with the SAP Integration Suite provides the lowest total cost of ownership for the customer and they can use the operations apps in SAP Cloud ALM to monitor the health of these integrations. Again, access to SAP Cloud ALM is included in the customer's Enterprise Support for Cloud Editions at no cost.
- Follow the Clean Core Strategy to stick to the standard business processes whenever possible, and only make extensions to processes where it is absolutely necessary to support your business requirements. When extensions are required, use the applications in the SAP Fiori Launchpad designed to help you build lifecycle-stable extensions first. If you cannot make the required extension with the in-app functionality, use the SAP Business Technology Platform to completely separate your extension from the core software.
- Manage organizational change throughout the entire implementation project. Communication is essential to the adoption of the solution by end users, and the organizational change management tasks from the SAP Activate Roadmap need to be completed by someone. Organizations need to either budget for change management services from the implementation partner or establish an internal team to handle these important tasks.