As Business Process Expert for the Hire to Retire process at Dreams without Limits, Peter is interested in how SAP Cloud ALM can help him detect issues in the business process.
Peter wants to monitor the end-to-end (E2E) process, to understand critical business process deviations and to receive automatic alerts if the defined thresholds are in danger or violated. He is looking for a tool that allows him to collaborate on created and assigned tasks for critical exceptions, to deep dive into deviations to analyze root causes and to understand past, current, and predicted process Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) along multiple dimensions.
Scott also needs to monitor the operations of the Hire to Retire process. He wants to have an overview of critical technical deviations and the affected processes and, together with Peter and Anna, to collaborate on assigned tasks for critical exceptions.
Together with Scott, Peter schedules a meeting with Carl. In this meeting, he asks:
Business Process Monitoring – Overview
Carl states that Business Process Monitoring, as part of SAP Cloud ALM for operations, provides transparency over the end-to-end processes of the entire Intelligent Suite. It monitors the processes' health and detects anomalies during process execution. In addition, it enables primarily the Lines of Business users (Peter, Anna), but also IT users (Scott), to directly identify process disruptions and react to them:
He explains that Business Process Monitoring identifies the following:
- Business disruptions and exceptions in process execution based on pre-defined KPIs.
- Technical issues that have a direct impact on mission critical processes (with the help of technical monitoring).
This helps ensuring smooth business operations without disruptions and increasing the business process execution quality and performance.
Peter then asks Carl to list some available KPIs. Carl answers that there are many, such as Job Requisitions Created, Job Requisitions without Applications, Job Offers Created or Job Offers Pending.
For more information on the available KPIs with respect to the different end-to-end processes of the Intelligent Suite, see the corresponding section for Business Process Monitoring Content on SAP Support Portal.
Note that the Hire to Retire process that Dreams without Limits is implementing is part of the end-to-end process Recruit to Retire. The end-to end process Recruit to Retire consists of the sub-processes Hire to Retire (managing the life cycle of an employee), Travel to Reimburse (on worker travel and expense management), and External Workforce (managing the life cycle of an external worker). For more information, see the blog The evolution of SAP’s Intelligent Enterprise: The Recruit-to-Retire Process, the Business Technology Platform & RISE with SAP.
Peter and Scott are very interested in this topic. They want to learn more about how to access this tool in SAP Cloud ALM.
Carl answers that the Business Process Monitoring app in SAP Cloud ALM for operations supports the detect-to-correct lifecycle of SAP Cloud solutions along the end-to-end processes of the Intelligent Suite. The objective of this app is to ensure smooth business operations without disruptions, and to increase the quality and performance of business process execution.
Peter and Scott then want to know how Business Process Monitoring can assist them in their work at Dreams without Limits. They therefore ask:
Find and Analyze Anomalies During Business Process Execution
Carl then lists some features of Business Process Monitoring:
- Out-of-the box, real-time collection of business process KPIs (backlog, throughputs, lead times, and so on) and associated business process documents.
- Relevant business process KPIs are auto discovered to keep effort for implementation low. Due to this auto-discovery, there is no need for modelled business processes or manual configuration (refinement is possible based on expert configuration).
- Intuitive and dashboard-based monitoring of business process KPIs, including context-sensitive drill down in business documents (root cause analysis).
- Embedded alerting to inform users (such as LOB process owner/manager or LOB process executers) about business process anomalies and exceptions.
After this explanation, Peter and Scott cannot wait to use Business Process Monitoring and to see the tool in action.