Use Case Scenario
During the operative production process, the production team must confirm the production of each material. That is a crucial step of a production order. The production operator records the quantities of the produced items and the time taken for each process step. There are three options to confirm the production:
- The yield quantity represents manufactured items that can move to the next work center.
- The scrap quantity refers to items discarded during the operation.
- The rework quantity represents items that cannot proceed to the next operation due to quality issues. They must be repaired and will rejoin the production flow after repair.
In our case, the production operator records a production defect. The rework cannot be performed directly on the shop floor but requires the coordination between the production operator and the engineering department. What does the production operator do?
Process in SAP S/4HANA
To learn more, explore the following figure.
The operator creates a production defect to initiate rework and provide the necessary details to the production engineer. This step is executed when you confirm rework quantities. Production defects may be used by a customer to document the reasons for scrapping as well. For example, that might be for analytical purposes.
When the production operator creates the production defect with reference to a production order (operation), the system automatically includes the relevant information from the production order, such as the following:
- Operation number and Order ID
The production operator assigns the defect manually to a processor and adds attachments to document the issue. If corrective actions must be executed, the production operator has two options:
- Documenting what was done to correct the error
- Defining a corrective action and assigning an action processor. The action processor is informed using e-mail.
In the production defect scenario, a simple business scenario is depicted where a defect is addressed through a straightforward task, such as a corrective action performed by the production operator on the shop floor. However, if a more extensive process involving immediate, corrective, and preventive actions is needed, or if an 8D process is required, the production defect can be escalated to a quality notification. By doing so, additional steps can be executed within the quality notification to address the defect effectively. For more information, refer to the application help.
To automate defect creation, you can configure the SAP S/4HANA system to generate a quality notification automatically when the production operator confirms scrap and/or rework quantities. Refer to the application help for additional information.
How to Create a Defect for a Production Order: System Demonstration
In the following SAP S/4HANA system demonstration, you will observe the production defect scenario. In detail, the following steps will be executed:
- Record of a production defect.
- Add attachments and additional information to the defect.
- Define a task and send the task to the task processor.