In this lesson, the following topics are discussed:
- Health Monitoring with SAP Cloud ALM.
- Analyze API usage and performance with the build in: Advanced API Analytics.
- Logging with Message Logging Policy.
Health Monitoring with SAP Cloud ALM
In the Health Monitoring application you can check the health of your monitored cloud service and technical systems from an application and customer perspective. Technical metrics are collected on a regular basis and can be used to calculate the overall health of the monitored object. The monitored metrics are defined by the service itself and may differ for each service type.
At the moment, only health monitoring with the SAP Cloud ALM solution is possible.
Analyze API usage and performance with the build in Advanced API Analytics
Advanced API Analytics brings to you the all new analytics dashboard, providing powerful tools and in-depth reports for analyzing your API usage and performance. The reports are categorized across report pages, with each report page providing information about key API metrics, which are relevant for both business users and API developers.
Navigate to Monitor → APIs. The Dashboard opens.
There are many views and setting options to visualize relevant information.
Logging with Message Logging Policy
SAP API Management has to send syslog messages to third-party log management services. The syslog message is defined with the help of the Message Logging Policy.
Third-party log management services are as follows:
- Sumo Logic
A sylog message contains the following elements and attributes of Request and/or Response depending on the place at the flow.
- Message ( Payload)
As a result, a screenshot with the use of Splunk:
- Health Monitoring with SAP Cloud ALM
- Analyze API usage and performance with the build in Advanced API Analytics
- Read more here: Analyze APIs.
- Logging with Message Logging Policy
- Read more in a blog to use Splunk and Message Logging Policy: Splunk – Part 1: SAP APIM Logging & Monitoring | SAP Blogs.
- Read more in a blog to use Loggly and Message Logging Policy: Part 7 – API Security Best Practices – Log all API interactions | SAP Blogs.
- Read more about the Message Logging Policy: Message Logging Policy.
Metrics, usage, and performance of individual API calls can be examined on the one hand with the, build in, Advanced API Analytics and on the other hand with the SAP Cloud ALM product. Logging of the communication parameters and payload is done with the Message Logging Policy. This compiles the corresponding data and uses an external solution, such as Loggly or others, to visualize it.