This scope item provides a way to bill customer projects. It supports the billing of fixed priced, time and expenses, usage based and unit-based contract types, including account payments.
Additionally, you can write off or postpone full amounts or quantities, as well as partial amounts or quantities.
When you create a customer project using the Create Customer Projects app or the Plan Customer Projects app, the Information tab displays the Use Project Billing (New) field activated by default. This indicator reflects a legacy option in the solution no longer available so it should always be activated. This field can be hidden with Adapt UI function. To ensure that the new project billing is used for all newly created projects, you can use the BAdI Custom Cheeks on Project Save under the business context Engagement Project.
- There is always a 1:1 relationship between Sales Order and Project ID and WBS Billing Element and Sales Order Item
- Sales order is automatically created when stage is set as "Contract Preparation" §Billing items are manually created in the Customer Project applications.
- Billing items are defined by contract type (~sales document item category). Multiple work packages can be assigned to one billing item.
- The WBS billing element is stored in the sales order item.
- No postings to work packages are allowed as long as no billing item is created and no sales order item is assigned
- Profit center is selected on billing item and is defaulted on project header
Once you start preparing the invoices for these billing elements (App.: Manage Project Billing), a Project Billing Request is generated. The Project Billing Request is a preparatory document that creates a Billing Document Request (BDR) when is complete and submitted.
The difference between a Project Billing Request and a BDR is that the first is used to select and prepare the content of the bill by including billable items, written off items, and postponed items to the next billing cycle. The Project Billing Request is not a billable document itself. Once the content of the bill is compete, the PBR is submitted and this creates the Billing Document Request, that is the billing document that is shared with the customer previous to sending the actual Billing Document.
The Billing Specialist role, has been introduced with the Project Billing (4E9) scope item, and is responsible for preparing the billing as per their billing cycles, and monitoring the billing elements using the Manage Project Billing app (responsible for the Project Billing Request).
The Billing Clerk is responsible for processing the bill and to adapt it if needed during the interrelation with the customer (responsible for the Billing Document Request, the Preliminary Billing Document that is an optional pro-forma document that can be submitted to the customer previous to the actual bill, and the Billing Document).