Product Families enable you to define hierarchical product categories to group and classify product data. You can create multiple product families, with each family consisting of a hierarchical tree of product categories. Each Product Family can represent a unique category.
In the Product definition, you can then assign the product to categories in different product families. You can also bulk manage category-product assignments from the Product Families workspace, by selecting a specific product category and then opening the Products tab in the right pane. On the Products tab for the selected product category, you can view, add, or delete product associations.
The overall process to set up a product family with categories and then associate a product with a category is as follows:
- Create a product family.
- Add custom tags for the product family.
- Create product categories for the product family.
- Associate one or more tags with the product family, product category, and/or products.
- Associate one or more products with a category.
The application enables you to define tags for a product family and associate each tag with specific product categories. Before a tag can be assigned to a category, it must first be defined for the Product Family within the Custom Tags section on the Details tab. When you delete a tag, the tag is removed from all categories to which it was associated.
Users can include tags when searching for products during the territory alignment process. Tags are an inheritable attribute, so when you assign a tag to a category, all children of that category automatically inherit the tags assigned to the parent. Additionally, products associated with the parent and the child categories inherit the associated tags.
Product Families and Territory Alignment
During the territory alignment process, on the Add Products screen, if the Product Category option is enabled, the application displays the corresponding category tree, as well as leaf-level products.
Once products have been added to a category in the Product Family, the entire category of products can be assigned to the territories within a territory program.
A Territory definition can consist of actual products and/or product categories.
Aligned products, through the Product Category option, can include Category information to be included in the alignment object. You must include Category information if you require that products are grouped under the corresponding product-category in the Quota Breakdown.
Note that the creation of a new product category doesn't result in automatic creation of product alignments. The benefit of aligning a product category with a territory is that you can set the quota at the category-level.
Creating a Product Family
You can define product category hierarchies to classify your product data.
- Navigate to Territory Admin → Products .
- Choose Product Families.
- Choose Create () on the right of the Product Families View header. The Add New Product Families screen opens.
- Required: In the Standard Fields section, enter the Name of the product family.
- Enter a brief Description of the product family.
- Enter one or more Business Units.
- Required: Enter the Effective Start Date for the record.
- Enter the Effective End Date for the record.
- Save your changes. The new product family is saved and is listed in the list of Product Families.