The SAP HANA journey started in 2010 with innovations like the in-memory technology and the compressed column tables with a delta store. SAP kept the innovation train running, and within the lifecycle of SAP HANA 2.0, innovations like multitenancy, time travel, and SAP HANA Cockpit were introduced.
The next big innovation for SAP HANA was the move to the cloud. As a database service in the SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP), SAP HANA Cloud can take advantage of all the innovations that SAP makes available in the SAP BTP.
For SAP customers, it is possible to migrate their on-premises SAP HANA databases to SAP HANA Cloud. To make this transition to the cloud as easy as possible, SAP introduces the self-service migration for SAP HANA Cloud tool.
The self-service migration tool will help you to migrate either SAP HANA Service for BTP or on-premises SAP HANA databases.
The self-service migration tool for SAP HANA Cloud provides:
- A user-friendly migration wizard that guides the database administrator through the whole migration project.
- A compatibility check to identify potential issues before the migration start. You will be able to rerun the compatibility check to verify that you fixed all the issues.
- Fully automated migration tasks for the catalog, the tables and data, and the secure store.
- Depending on the migration scenario, the SAP HANA Schemas & HDI Containers Service Instances with the HDI-Shared, Schema, and Secure Store Plan are migrated as well.
- An SAP-managed secure temporary storage for export and import so that customers do not need an additional storage for migration.
The self-service migration tool for SAP HANA Cloud is provided without additional cost and is available in the SAP HANA Cloud Central on SAP BTP.
Self-Service Migration Tool Phases
The self-service migration tool guides you through the phases Plan, Prepare, Execute, Validate, and Finalize.
- Plan phase
- In the plan phase, you will choose the source database for the migration, and you will verify the compatibility of the artifacts in your source database with SAP HANA Cloud. This compatibility check will show you the result with the following Severity information:
- Critical: These objects must be resolved, because you will not be able to proceed the migration without resolving them.
- Error: These objects will not be migrated due to feature unavailability on SAP HANA Cloud side. Recommend to review these objects carefully and to fix the reported objects at the source HANA side depending on your review result.
- Warning: These objects will be migrated, but may have different behavior on SAP HANA Cloud side. Recommend to review these objects and you can either ignore or fix the reported objects at the source HANA side.
- Info: These objects are reported for an informational purpose.
- Prepare phase
- In the prepare phase, you will choose the target SAP HANA Cloud database to be used for the migration. You will also specify the migration user account to be used by the self-service migration tool.
- Execute phase
- In the execution phase, the migration of the catalog, database data, and secure store is performed. Depending on the migration scenario, the SAP HANA Schemas & HDI Contrainers Service Instances with the HDI-Shared, Schema, and Secure Store Plan are migrated as well.
- Validate phase
- In the validation phase the consistency of the migrated content is validated through metadata and data checks.
- Finalize phase
- The finalization phase deactivated the migration user and performs a clean up of the migration process.
Supported Migration Scenarios
|Target Cloud Location
|SAP HANA 2.0 SPS05 revision 53 or above
|On-premises or hosted
|AWS, Azure, AliCloud, GCP
|SAP HANA Service for BTP, Neo environment
|AWS, Azure, AliCloud, GCP
|Only catalog and data migration is supported.
|SAP HANA Service for BTP, Cloud Foundry environment
|The target SAP HANA Cloud database instance must be provisioned in the same region as the source database instance.
You have now learned that a migration from SAP HANA 2.0 SPS05 revision 53 or higher, SAP HANA Service for BTP, Neo environment, or SAP HANA Service for BTP, Cloud Foundry environment as a source database to SAP HANA Cloud as a target database is possible using the self-service migration tool for SAP HANA Cloud. You also learned about the actions performed during the five migration steps performed through the self-service migration for SAP HANA tool.
- Discovering SAP Business Technology Platform – SAP Learning Journey
- SAP HANA Cloud Getting Started Guide – SAP documentation
- Provisioning and Administering Databases in SAP HANA Cloud – SAP Learning Journey
- SAP HANA Cloud Migration Guide – SAP documentation