From studying the SAP Activate roadmap and from his previous discussions with Carl, Adam has learned that it is his task as a system administrator to request the necessary systems for the business processes that are to be implemented.
For the provisioning and onboarding of SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition, it is important to understand the system landscape. Without understanding the overall landscape, you cannot get the full extent of how SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition systems work and at the same time how they are linked with SAP Activate (which – together with SAP Cloud ALM – is the fundamental tool for the implementation of SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition). It is highly recommended that you follow the SAP Activate Roadmap Viewer judiciously to have a streamlined and optimized result in your SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition.
To get an idea how this landscape is going to look like, he again contacts Carl. During their next meeting, together with Adam, Carl developed the following figure:
For the sake of simplicity, this figure only contains the systems that are needed for the implementation of business processes running in SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition. Other environments (such as SAP Ariba or SAP Business Technology Platform) are not shown.
From his experience with on-premise based SAP software, Adam recognizes the development system, the test system and the production system. But he has no idea what – for example – the SAP Central Business Configuration tenant is used for. Carl therefore needs to explain the roles of the different systems on a high level:
- SAP for Me is the central personalized access point and the go-to destination to cover all the customer’s SAP engagements.
SAP Central Business Configuration (CBC) acts as a configuration hub for SAP S/4HANA Cloud. In SAP Central Business Configuration, you can centrally manage new implementations of cloud solutions from SAP via Project Experience.Note
Project Experience guides you step-by-step through the whole implementation process.
- SAP Cloud ALM helps to manage your implementation and your system landscape.
The starter system includes configuration and master data for your SAP S/4HANA Cloud solution for targeted enablement of the project team on SAP standard processes. It serves as the environment for the fit-to-standard workshops. It is decommissioned one month after the production system is delivered.Note
In the starter system (as well as in the development system), there are two separate tenants for development and for Customizing.
The systems that finally form the three-system landscape:
- The development system is where the solution is scoped and activated and where configuration and enhancements are implemented. Changes are transported to the test system for testing and quality assurance.
- The test system is your quality assurance environment during implementation. It will act as a test environment during the implementation.
- The production system is the system in which your business will transact, plan, and run.
SAP Cloud Identity Services are a group of services of SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP), which enable you to integrate identity and access management (IAM) between systems. The goal is to provide a seamless single sign-on (SSO) experience across systems while ensuring that system and data access are secure. They consist of
- SAP Cloud Identity Services – Identity Authentication for the secure authentication and single sign-on for users in the cloud (and to assign CBC user roles to CBC users).
- SAP Cloud Identity Services – Identity Provisioning to read CBC users from the Identity Authentication tenant and provision them to the CBC client.
Two tenants (to separate development / test and production) are typical. As there is no SAP CBC system in the production landscape, the production environment does not need to have the Identity Provisioning tenant.
A Sandbox Tenant (optional, not shown in the figure above) is a subscription-based tenant isolated from the customer’s development, test, and productive systems. Its primary purpose is to help evaluate and test application configurations and extensions.