Grants Budgeting: Comparison to Public Sector Management (PSM) Budget Management
Most of the concepts (for example, plan category, budget types, and so on) that are described in the class for the PSM Budget Management apply to Grants Management as well. Consequently, this lesson mainly focuses on the differences.
SAP Budget Management and SAP Grants Management must use the same plan category for AVC.
For Grants Management, the standard delivered User/Role Grant_specialist has the authority and access to create and report grants budget.
The budget for grants is stored in ACDOCP and the commitment/actuals are stored in ACDOCA; the main difference is the account assignment grant. The Grants Budget is simply described with a valid, relevant grant (<> NRG). When a relevant grant is given, the validation for additional account assignments differs to a non-relevant grant. In addition, the fund (with different GM funds types) distinguishes between external budget from the sponsor and internal budget for cost sharing.
Activate Journal Fields for Budgeting Configuration with Grants Budget Scenarios
As is the case with Budget Management, you need to define (in the configuration) which Journal Fields (Account Assignments) for which you need to specify your budget for in the solution. You can specify this differently from budget management by selecting the budget scenario, Grantee Management (External), for the budget from your sponsor or Grantee Management (Internal) for cost sharing.
Mandatory (SAP), which means that these fields must be used.
The following figure, Entry of Grants Budget, shows this configuration.
Budget Uploads for Grants Budget
It is possible to upload the budget using the Import Financial Plan Data app. The app is identical to the app used in budget management. However, the format of the Excel sheet needs to be adjusted for the Grants budget.
The following figure, Budget Upload for External and Cost Share Budget using Excel File, shows the Excel format for a budget upload used for the Import Financial Plan Data app. The 2 lines are budgeted for the same grant for external and cost share budget.
General Validations when Creating Grants Budget
Whenever the budget for a relevant grant is generated, the following validations are performed:
- The grant must be valid for the fiscal year and period
- A sponsored program must be valid and part of the grant master
- A sponsored class must be valid and part of the grant master; the sponsored class must have a GL account assigned to it (Account for Budgeting) in the Sponsored Class Master Data
- A budget validity must be provided and part of the grant master
- A valid fund must be provided and part of the grant master
- A valid cost center must be derived from the grant master
Budget Documents: Comparison to PSM Budget Management
In addition to the budget upload, it is also possible to create manual budget documents using the Fiori app: Manage Budget Documents (Grant External). Like the corresponding app in budget management, it is possible to create supplements, transfers, returns, and releases. Furthermore, attachments, descriptive texts, and budget/AVC amounts are supported. In release 2308, this is only possible for external budget. A budget for cost sharing currently needs to be generate using the upload program.
The Manage Budget Documents (Grant External) app tries to minimize the user input as many values can be derived when the grant has been entered in the header of the budget document:
- As there is only one external fund in the grant master, the fund is automatically derived. No manual entry is possible.
- Sponsored Program and Class are derived automatically in case there is only 1 sponsored program/class in the grant master. In case there are multiple programs/classes assigned in the grant master, the value help is restricted to those programs/classes.
- GL account is derived automatically from the Account for Budget of the sponsored class.NoteOnly sponsored classes with an account can be selected.
- The Budget Validity Number is derived from the grant master and the posting date (aligned with exactly one budget validity number)
- The Budget Period is OVERALL as the fund for external budget is always OVERALL
All other values - for example, document and budget type - must be entered manually. Note that it is not possible to transfer budget between different grants.
The following figure, Manage Budget Documents (Grant External), depicts an example of the creation of a budget supplement.