So, what happens after you post an outgoing invoice to Account Receivables? It becomes an open item in the customer's account. Ideally, the posting of the incoming payments clears the invoice automatically. Then, the invoice status changes from Open to Cleared.
However, it is not always possible to clear an open item automatically during incoming payment processing. For this reason, you have the option of subsequently processing a clearing.
Manual clearing allows you to review open debits and credits and take charge of the clearing process. It allows you to allocate payments, adjustments, or other transactions to specific open items.
Generally, you must use manual clearing in the following cases:
- You can't use automatic clearing methods.
- You require more control over the clearing process.
- With the app, Clear Incoming Payments, you can select and clear multiple open items (payments, down payments, and normal items).
- On the Items to Be Cleared screen, you will see a list of options for open items you can clear.
- The system clears open items with zero balance, changes their status to Cleared, and creates a clearing journal entry. Each cleared item contains this journal entry number and the clearing date.
You can find a list of all key features of the Clear Incoming Payments Fiori app here:
Alex, an accountant at customer S4C000, receives the periodic account statement created by Carla in the previous lesson. Upon review, he requests that Clara clears the following items from the statement:
After analysing the transactions, Carla tells Alex that she will clear the items by the end of the day. However, there is one issue. The automatic clearing job is not able to clear the items due to different reference information in the Document Number column. Now, Carla must manually clear the items.
In the following demo, you will see:
- How to clear open items.
- How to review the results on the customer account.
To manually clear open items, use the Clear Incoming Payments app. Use the Clear button to select the relevant open items, then select Post. When the items successfully clear, the system creates a clearing journal entry. Use the Manage Customer Line Items app to review the open item status.